Monday, August 8, 2011

Make or Break

I'll start off this post with a riddle:

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or heaviest burden.
I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
I am completely at your command.

Half of the things you do you might as well turn over to me and I will do them - quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed - you must be firm with me.
Show me exactly how you want something done and after a few lessons, I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of great people, and alas, of all failures as well.

Those who are great, I have made great.
Those who are failures, I have made failures.

I am not a machine, though I work with the precision of a machine plus the intelligence of a person.

You may run me for profit or run me for ruin - it makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me, and I will place the world at your feet.

Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I?
HABIT

This is so true.  So many things in life are done just by pure habit.  They can be good or bad.  The key is to start young.  Alma, a Book of Mormon prophet said, "O, remember, my son, and learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God."  (Alma 37:35).  The things we learn in our youth will make or break us.

Starting good habits is the path to success, starting bad habits will only lead to failure.  Habit really is our greatest helper or our heaviest burden.  Once we learn to master our habits, we will truly have wisdom.  If keeping the commandments becomes one our of good habits, then we will see the blessings and feel the joy that comes through obedience to our Father in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment