Friday, August 12, 2011

Order Up!

When I was growing up, I never understood why I had to do my chores before I went to hang out with my friends.  The math would add up in my head: if I just hang out with my friends for 2 hours, then come home and do chores for 1 hour, it's the same as if I had done chores for 1 hour, then hung out with my friends for 2 hours.  Both are 3 hours.  Why did my parents always make me do my chores first?

I was reading an article the other day about good things we do in life.  The person writing the article said, "When I consider all the things [God] would have me do in this life, doing them at the right time seems as critical as doing them at all."  There are so many things in life that are good to do.  They help us learn, grow, and become better people.  Some of these may be getting an education, getting married, having kids, getting a job, moving out of your parents place, and so forth.  It's not only what we do, but when we do it.  These are all things that help us learn, grow, and advance in this life, but if done in the wrong order, they can be disastrous.

King Benjamin, A Book of Mormon prophet, knew how important order was in all things.  "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order;...And again, it is expedient the he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.  (Mosiah 4:27).  We must take King Benjain's advice and make sure everything we do is done in wisdom and order.  Combining those two elements can greatly improve our lives.  Let us all use both wisdom and order to ensure that we will "win the prize."

No comments:

Post a Comment