Thursday, May 26, 2011

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho

"Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It's off to work we go." ~The Seven Dwarfs.  A lot is to be said about the Seven Dwarfs in the movie Snow White.  One of the first scenes in the movie has the dwarfs marching in single file and singing the song previously quoted.  Why are they so happy to be off to work?  That has always puzzled me. 

It hasn't been until a couple of years ago that I've really enjoyed helping others.  I used to look at it as more of work.  I was working to benefit someone else.  Though that is true, I still didn't have the right mind set while doing it.  Moroni 7:6 says, "...for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing."

The act of helping others consists of two separate, but equally important, parts.  The service itself is only half of it.  In order to successfully serve others, we must have the right mindset while doing it, which is the other half.  We could do all the service in the world, but without the proper mindset, it would profit us nothing.  We should all strive to have the mindset of those seven dwarfs who were happy as can be to go to work.  If we have that attitude while we serve others, we will be able to see the daily blessings that come from genuine service.

1 comment:

  1. You know how much I love classic Disney movies! So reading this was definitely that much more interesting. The movie Snow White and the theme of Service I feel go hand in hand. Snow White provided service to the Dwarfs and you could see the change in the Dwarfs. Last night in institute we talked about how it is through service we can become like Christ. I know that it is through service that we can begin to feel the affects of the the commandment love thy neighbor. I never thought about the movie in this way and you know what? I love it even more now! Can't wait to watch it again with this mindset!

    ReplyDelete