Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Temporary Home

There truly is no place like home.  But home is different for everyone.  Depending on who you ask, their views of home will be different.  Home is where you hang your hat.  Home is where your bed is.  Home is that house you live in.  Home is where your heart is.  Amidst all of the different definitions of home, how can we know what our own personal home is?  We can all say that we have some kind of a home here on earth, but is it truly our home?

I've always been struck by the chorus of a Carrie Underwood song called "Temporary Home".  In the song, she describes three different situations, but in the end, they all respond with the lyrics in the chorus, which read:

This is my temporary home
It's not where I belong.
Windows and rooms that I'm passin' through.
This is just a stop, on the way to where I'm going.
I'm not afraid because I know this is my
Temporary Home.

This world is only our temporary home.  Sure, there are many places in the world and times of our life that bring us great joy, but we have a way better home waiting for us on the other side.  A heavenly home.  Nothing can compare to it.  "No matter how enticing the world might be, it was never intended to be our home." ~ Kevin Hinckley (emphasis added).  So don't forget what you're working towards.  Never let it escape your mind.  Greater joy lies ahead.  May we cease to walk without direction or wander without reason, but continually carry on to our heavenly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment